If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: my favorite breakfast preparation that uses leftovers from my refrigerator and a deliciously runny soft cooked egg. Try this recipe with any combination of vegetables as well as leftover polenta, risotto or couscous. —cucina di mammina
organic medium to large raw egg (soft cooked)
3 to 5
fresh thin asparagus spears (trimmed and chopped)
small bunch of fresh baby spinach leaves
leftover sauteed, grilled or baked mushrooms (any variety: button, baby bella, portobella, etc.)
leftover red & white quinoa (cooked in beef, chicken or vegetable stock)
large very ripe tomato (washed & chopped)
small garlic clove (peeled and chopped)
salt and pepper to taste (red chili flake, if desired)
- In a medium skillet, drizzle olive oil and add the chopped garlic, asparagus and spinach leaves. Saute gently for 2 to 3 minutes; add the chopped tomato and saute slowly for another 3 to 4 minutes; add in the leftover mushrooms until warmed through and season with salt and pepper; remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small stockpot, place water to boil; add the raw egg right before the water comes to a full boil; cook for 4 1/2 to 5 minutes maximum. Remove immediately from the heat; place in cool water and set aside.
- On a serving plate, spoon the leftover reheated quinoa (quantity to individual preference); add the sauteed vegetable mixture on the side.
- Remove the egg from the cool water and peel gently; place on top of the quinoa and carefully cut in half allowing the soft yolk to run out (I love my egg yolk runny so I cook it for about 4 1/2 minutes; any more will harden the yolk.)
- Season the egg with salt and pepper and serve immediately. If desired, you can add some grated parmigiano or asiago cheese.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mash-Up Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe