If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This lentil-based spread features an addictive balance of flavors--sweetness from the tarragon, unami from the miso paste and acid from the vinegar. Many vegetarian pates call for ground nuts to add richness and body, but I skipped straight to nut butter in the name of convenience. Let it sit overnight for a more developed flavor. I used it as a sandwich spread on a vegetarian banh mi, but I could also see this as a very thick dip (you could also loosen by streaming in additional olive oil).
I took note of the spices in the Bojon Gourmet's lentil pate as well as from a Food.com recipe for inspiration. —Erika
Serves 4 on a sandwich, more for an appetizer
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup dried green lentils, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon almond, cashew or walnut butter
- 1/2 tablespoon champagne wine vinegar (or: white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
- dash pepper
- Heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for about 6 minutes, or until soft. Add the lentils, bay leaf, water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and let cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Once lentils are soft (i.e. you can smush them with a spoon), remove pot from heat. Remove the bay leaf and let mixture cool for at least 5 minutes before adding to a blender (be VERY careful when blending hot substances!).
- Add all remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Mixture should be very thick, but blendable. Add a tablespoon or two of water or olive oil if you’re having trouble blending it. Use on a vegetarian banh mi or other vegetarian sandwich, or eat with chips/sliced veggies!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Walnuts