If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This colorful salad is a keeper, and the vinaigrette is great on anything! —Jinnie22
- 3 large beets, preferably different varieties
- 2 sweet navel oranges, segmented, and pith removed*
- 2 handfuls mache or arugula, rinsed and dried
- 8 ounces crumbled goat's cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, minced
- Place the wheat berries in a saucepan, and add water to about 2 inches over the berries.
- Add 1 tsp. salt, and simmer until tender, about 1 hour.
- Drain and set aside.
- Rinse the beets and remove 1/2 inch from the stem end.
- Drizzle the beets with a little olive oil, and loosely wrap in foil.
- Roast in a 400F oven until tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes, depending on the size of the beets.
- Allow the beets to cool a little, and slip off their skins under running cold water.
- Cut the beets into slices approx. 1/4 inch thick. Divide the Mache or arugula onto 4 plates, top with the beet slices, then the oranges, wheat berries, scallions, cheese, and pistachios.
- Drizzle with Chive vinaigrette, and a dash of salt and pepper. *with a paring knife, cut the peel of the orange off, including the white, then cut the orange segments out separately, leaving behind the dividing membranes.
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 bunch chives, minced
- 3 tablespoons white wine or champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup grapeseed or olive oil
- Whisk together the first 4 ingredients.
- Now gradually add the oil, constantly whisking.
- add salt and pepper to taste.