If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I recently published this recipe on my own blog gaiagoodnessnaturalfood.wordpress.com. Sausage, Cabbage, and Potato Stew is a hearty, smoky, zesty, spicy dish that is perfect for the Winter or any time of year for that matter. I live in sunny Los Angeles where it is warm the majority of the time and I still love to make this dish.
I first experienced this amazing threesome in a bowl while I was staying with my Aunt and Uncle in DC. My Aunt April used to make sausage, cabbage, and potato stew and it quickly became one of my favorite meals. Over the years I have adapted my own recipe and recently added my signature Banana Mango Ketchup to the mix. The ketchup adds a rich caramel color and robust flavor that really enhances this already delectable dish.
The stew can be cooked in a crock pot, a pressure cooker, a dutch oven, or a deep pot on top of the stove. I’ll be showing you how to prepare the stew in a crock pot. I especially love this method because I can put everything in, go about my day and come home to an irresistible dinner. Using a crock pot is also a great way to avoid slaving over a fiery stove in hot climates! I enjoy a nice cold beer with this dish, like Angry Orchard, Guinness, or Dilirium Tremens. —Gaia Goodness Natural Foods
Serves 6 -8
- 1 Head of green cabbage thinly sliced, heart removed
- 14 ounces Smoked sausage (I used Portuguese Linguiça sausage) cut in rounds
- 1/2 Red onion sliced
- 6 Medium red potatoes cut in sixths (once length wise and three across)
- 2 Cloves garlic finely chopped
- 5 ounces Jar of Gaia Goodness Banana Mango Ketchup (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Allspice ground
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon 21 Salute Seasoning from Trader Joe's
- 1 teaspoon Dried Dill
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes or 4 dried chiles ground
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper ground
- 1 tablespoon Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoons Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil to coat Crock Pot
- 3 tablespoons Hot Sauce
- 1/2 cup Water of beer
- Pour the oil in the bottom of the crock pot dish.
- Layer in order; potatoes, cabbage, onions, spices, seasonings, vinegar, and hot sauce. Add the sausage on top.
- Pour water or beer over the entire dish.
- Put the crock pot lid on and turn the crock pot on low. Cook for 7-8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir to thoroughly combine the ingredients at the 4 hour mark.
- If you are using The Gaia Goodness Banana Mango Ketchup, stir it in at the 4 hour mark and put the lid back on. Cook for the remaining 3-4 hours.
- Turn off the crock pot and allow the dish to cool for about 10 minutes. Enjoy!