If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This really should be called “cream” of cabbage soup, as there’s no cream to be found in this recipe. The base gets its creaminess from pureeing a mixture of chick peas and vegetables, and from the addition of a little 2% milk. The already vegetarian soup can be easily made vegan by swapping the milk for almond or coconut milk. This is a soup you can feel good about eating ! —SugarnStuff
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and pale green parts only, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 5 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup stewed or roasted tomatoes (which is what I used), chopped
- 2 cups cooked chick peas
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- To a large frying pan over medium heat, add olive oil, leeks, carrot, garlic and cabbage. Cook until vegetables are soft, using the addition of some broth if the pan gets too dry. Add tomatoes. Give this mixture a few grinds of pepper and sea salt to taste.
- In a large saucepan, combine chickpeas, broth and 2 cups of the cooked cabbage mixture. Use a stick blender to puree this mixture until smooth. Add milk and stir to combine. Gradually increase heat to simmer. Add remaining cabbage mixture and the dill, season with more salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with more dill if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Chickpeas