Author Notes: East meets West in a delightful fusion of flavours - miso and thick risotto. Can be made vegetarian/vegan. Enjoy. —C Kwok
cup rice, arborio
cups water ; you may require an additional 1/4
tablespoon miso paste
cup assorted mushrooms ; I used shimeiji and shiitake
cloves of garlic
sprig of oregano (optional)
Salt + Pepper
turkey sausage, optional, omit if vegan/vegetarian
In This Recipe
- 1. Dice onions and garlic. Saute until fragrance is emitted.
- 2. Add in rice, oregano and mushrooms. Toast for 2 mins on VERY LOW HEAT. Add in salt and pepper now.
- 3. Meanwhile, combine water and miso. Microwave for a minute, or ensure it's warm.
- 4. Pour in 1/3 miso soup along with sausage, if using. Cover but stir occasionally. Make sure that only a few bubbles pop at times.
- 5. Repeat twice. Add in the broth when the broth added previously is almost fully absorbed, but still leaves some water in the pan. This should take about 25-35 mins.
- 6. Test rice for doneness. MAKE SURE ITS COOKED.
- 7. Serve with some cheese/nutritional yeast. Enjoy.