If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is our family's recipe which has been handed down for many generations, and is included in virtually every family gathering by popular demand! Everyone, from the little ones to the grandparents, love Tabouli, so when we make it, it's a big production! It's healthy, delicious, and one of those dishes that will have the kids lining up to take home if there are any leftovers. —Mary
cup 2 Bulghur (cracked wheat), soaked in cool water.
large, flavorful tomatoes, ripe, but firm
bunch scallions, thin and young, if available
bunch curly or flat leaf parsley
cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
cup olive oil, your preference
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional fresh or dried mint to taste
- After bulghur has soaked for approximately 10-20 minutes, test it, and if it is no longer crunchy, drain the water. You can use a sieve, and then squeeze the rest of the water out by hand.
- Wash parsley and remove from stem. Dry thoroughly, using a kitchen towel or a salad spinner. Chop finely or pulse in food processor.
- Chop scallions into a 1/4" dice. If the white bulbs are large, quarter them before chopping. Include the tender light green part of the onion.
- Cut tomatoes into a small dice, no larger tnan 1/4". Tomatoes and scallions should be fairly uniform in size.
- Add tomatoes, parsley and scallions to a large mixing bowl, and begin adding the bulghur until there is an even mixture of the ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour most of the olive oil and lemon juice over the salad, and continue adding to taste, along with the salt, pepper and optional mint. Refrigerate for at least an hour or two before serving. Since the Bulghur absorbs the flavors, you will probabaly have to slightly re-adjust the seasonings again.
- Tabouli is wonderful wrapped up in Pita bread that has been spread with Hummous for a quick lunch, or used in place of lettuce in wraps, and it's also a great substitute for dinner salads. !
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Scallions