Author Notes: A simple homestyle recipe pairing the very comforting cauliflower with its companion the potato. This recipe has been adapted for roasting which adds a deeper layer of flavor to these mildly seasoned vegetables. —Rinku Bhattacharya /Spice Chronicles
- 1 medium sized head of cauliflower (about 1 pound), cut into medium sized pieces
- 3/4 pound red skinned or other organic potatoes (halved or quartered, depending on the size)
- 2 tablespoons oil (mustard or EVOO)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon teaspoon turmeric
- Pink, regular or sea salt to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon panchphoron (Bengali Five Spice)
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes or Cayenne to finish
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1/2 lime) optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the oil, red onion, turmeric, salt and garlic and toss and mix well. Place the vegetable in a large casserole dish (I find this works better than a baking sheet, even though it is spread out in both cases)
- Bake for about 10 minutes, scatter with the panchphoron and bake for another 8-10 minutes. The vegetables should be crisp and fork tender.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes or cayenne and the cilantro. Squeeze in the lime juice if desired and serve hot.