Scallion oil is a staple garnish for many traditional Vietnamese dishes. It's so simple to make but really boosts the flavor of any recipe. I combined it with one of my favorite flavors: gojuchang, a korean red pepper paste that is often used in a korean mixed rice dish known as "bibimbap." The no knead pizza dough recipe I used is from Girl Farm Kitchen's Grilled Fennel Flatbread recipe right here on food52! —Jenny
- Serves 3
- For the no-knead dough
1 1/4 teaspoons
active dry yeast
1 3/4 cups
- For the toppings
gochujang (korean red pepper paste)
cooked chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized chunks
1 1/2 cups
red onion, sliced
chopped scallions (green onions)
sesame seeds, for garnish
- First, make the dough. Activate the yeast and warm water in a large bowl and let sit for 5-10 min or until foaming. Stir in the flour, sugar and salt with a spoon. Then, combine using your hands until a shaggy, moist dough comes together. Cover the bowl with plastic and allow to rise in a warm area for about 3 hours.
- For the second rise, generously flour a plate and form the dough into a ball. Cover and allow to sit for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and oil a large sheetpan.
- Make the sauce while your dough is rising. The sauce can also be made ahead of time and refrigerated overnight if needed. Stir together the gojuchang, hoisin sauce, mirin, and sesame oil in a medium sized bowl until well combined. Add a little more hoisin sauce if it's too spicy for you. Add in the chicken and coat each piece well.
- After your dough has finished it's second rise, spread the dough out slowly on the sheetpan with your fingers until it almost reaches the edges of the pan. Try to make the dough one even layer all the way around.
- Spread the pizza sauce on the dough, trying to cover the entire surface with just a slight border (about 1/2 inch) at the edge left for the crust.
- Place the red onion slices wherever there are uncovered spots of sauce. Sprinkle the cheese over the pizza but try to cover all the chicken chunks. It'll help keep the chicken moist.
- Place the pizza in the oven for about 10 min or until the crust looks cooked but hasn't developed a lot of color.
- Sprinkle on the sesame seeds after the first 10 min and allow to cook for another 5 min or until the crust is slightly browned.
- During these last 5 minutes, mix the scallions and oil in a small bowl and microwave for 30 sec to 1 min or until the oil has a green tint and is fragrant.
- Dollop the scallions on the pizza and drizzle the remaining oil over top and serve.