Author Notes: When grilling season rolls around, the first thing I think about cooking up isn't burgers or chicken but scallions. The recipe is really too simple to be a recipe: just toss the onions with a little olive oil and grill them (or roast them if a grill isn't available) until they're wilted and have some browning or charring on them. And really, you can stop there. They are so sweet and flavorful that I even forgo salt or pepper and eat them straight up. I am a sucker for mayonnaise, though, so if I do feel like a little extra treat, I'll make the lemon mayonnaise to go with them.
I eat them as a vegetable side dish, but they are also great chopped up and added into a salad or pasta or sandwich or taco.
And yes, you can totally put salt and pepper on them if you want, but you'll likely find they are fine without. —vvvanessa
Serves: 4-6 as a side dish
tablespoon olive oil
tablespoons mayonnaise (your favorite brand, or if you feel like making aioli, go for it)
- If using a grill, prepare the grill. If using an oven, heat the oven to 450ºF.
- Wash and dry the scallions. Trim off any funky ends or stray layers of onion skin. Leave the root end intact.
- For grilling: Toss the scallions with the olive oil in a large bowls. Place the scallions on a grill (at the risk of being way too obvious, set them perpendicular to the grate) over a medium-hot area. Grill until they are charred and wilted, turning them frequently, about 5-8 minutes.
- If using the oven, toss the scallions with the olive oil on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes, turning occasionally until the scallions are wilted and have some browning on them.
- When the onions are ready, place them on platter. Zest a little bit of the lemon directly onto the scallions. In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise and enough fresh lemon juice to make a thin sauce. Serve the sauce alongside the scallions.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Grilled Vegetable Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Scallions