Author Notes: Creamy homemade cashew milk makes this a thick and luxurious treat. —HMMessinger
Makes: about four cups
cup raw, unsalted whole cashews
cups filtered water
cup finely chopped dark chocolate
teaspoons vanilla extract
tablespoons cane syrup
teaspoon sea salt
In This Recipe
- Soak cashews in water on the counter for about four hours, but no longer than six.
- Drain cashews and rinse until water runs clear (this step is super important).
- Melt chocolate and let cool slightly. Pour into blender with drained cashews, salt, 1T syrup, chocolate and one cup water.
- Start blending on a low speed and gradually turn it up to high. Blend until smooth.
- Add water 1/2 cup at a time until the milk reaches a consistency that tickles your fancy. Taste and adjust sweetening and salt to your liking. Remember that it will thicken more once cooled.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
- To make drink: shake cashew milk well. Pour equal parts chocolate cashew milk and coffee/espresso over ice. Stir.