If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a riff on our favorite bread recipe which is a little reminiscent of a soft pizza crust. I added green onions for a new twist. —inpatskitchen
Makes one 10 inch loaf
For the topping
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Place all ingredients in a mini food processor and process until totally blended. Set aside.
For the bread
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3/4 cup warm water (100F - 110F)
- 1 teaspoon active yeast granules
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups bread flour (plus more for kneading)
- The previously made topping
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt (or Kosher salt)
- Gently sauté the green onions in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil until they soften but don't brown. Let cool.
- Stir the yeast into the warm water and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Stir the table salt, sugar and remaining tablespoon of olive oil into the yeast mixture until everything dissolves. Stir in the cooled green onions.
- Place the bread flour in a large bowl and stir in the liquid yeast mixture until it's fully incorporated. Knead the dough, adding more flour as needed, for about 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Lightly oil a large bowl and turn the dough into it, making sure that a light coating of oil covers the dough. Cover with plastic wrap or a tea towel and let rest until doubled in bulk.
- Prepare a 10 inch round cake pan by lining it with parchment paper cut to fit. You can also just cover a baking sheet with parchment if you want to "free form" your bread.
- Press the dough into the pan and then "dimple" the dough with your fingers.
- Generously brush the loaf with the previously made topping. Don't be afraid to let the oil puddle in spots. Sprinkle the top with the coarse sea salt. Let rest for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Bake in a pre heated 450F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temp to 400F and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Scallions