If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For this simple meatless recipe, I seared some thick slices of cauliflower in a cast iron skillet and then finished them in the oven. You basically end up eating the cauliflower steaks with a knife and fork, much like a real steak. The three-minute sauce involves getting out the blender and buzzing around some roasted red peppers, walnuts and my beloved sherry vinegar. You’ll also need a piece of toasted bread, so when you make your toast in the morning, just make one extra piece and save it for dinner. Enjoy your edible trip to Spain! —foxeslovelemons
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Red Pepper-Walnut Sauce
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained (or 1-1/2 roasted peppers)
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 piece whole wheat bread, toasted and torn into pieces
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- pinches Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Make Cauliflower Steaks: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut two 1-1/2-inch-thick "steaks" from center of head of cauliflower (reserve ends of cauliflower head for another use). Use vegetable peeler or pairing knife to remove leaves and knobby sections of cauliflower stems.
- In large cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower steaks and cook 5 minutes or until very brown. Flip cauliflower steaks; cook 2 minutes, then transfer skillet to oven. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Meanwhile, make Red Pepper-Walnut Sauce: Place all ingredients in blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Serve Cauliflower Steaks with Red Pepper-Walnut Sauce, garnished with chives.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Walnuts