If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This refreshing and alkalizing watercress & asparagus soup, uses vibrant bitter greens and citrus to support gentle cleansing. The lemon, watercress and parsley in this recipe aid in improving liver function, while the asparagus promotes circulation to the kidneys. A fresh avocado provides a creamy, rich texture to the soup, and healthy fats for optimal brain function and nutrient absorption to the body, and a spoonful of ghee provides a grounding quality to this enlightening recipe. This mineral-rich soup is perfect for those crisp early spring evenings! Watch this recipe step-by-step in the Vidya Seasonal Kitchen video series: https://vimeo.com/88950635 —Claire Ragozzino | VIDYA
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped
- 5 garlic scapes, chopped
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1 tablespoon ghee (optional)
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- In a medium soup pot, heat the olive oil then add the shallot, garlic scapes and asparagus to the pot, sautée a few minutes until the asparagus is tender.
- Reduce to low heat, add the watercress and ghee, stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer mix to a high-speed blender, add the avocado, fresh parsley, lemon juice, and water, purée until creamy.
- Taste and season with salt & pepper, blend again until well combined.
- To serve, pour into individual bowls and garnish with chopped avocado, asparagus tops, and baby watercress leaves. Sliced radishes also make a lovely garnish, I dehydrated mine overnight to make crispy radish chips as a topping. For a heartier meal, pour soup over a large scoop of cooked quinoa. Top with a little dallop of fresh garlic crème.
Raw Garlic Crème
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, soaked 2-3 hours
- 1/2 water
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until creamy. If too thick, add more water to reach desired consistency.
- Seal and store in an airtight glass container in your refrigerator until ready to use.