If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Full of nutty flavor walnut flour, this bread has just the right amount of balance. I use to make a zucchini bread from (agirldefloured.com), made with almond flour and grated zucchini, which was wonderful, but I've always preferred the taste of carrots instead. Therefore I decided to change it up and add my own twist by replacing the almond flour with walnut flour, using carrots, and adding in juicy raisins. So good! With grated carrots for moisture and the nutty tones and crunch from the walnut flour and walnut pieces this bread is absolutely decadent and lets not forget the tartness from the plumped raisins. It can be difficult to find gluten-free sweets that are not packed with starches, sugar, and a terrible gummy texture. With the right balance of an all-purpose brown rice flour blend and the addition of a nut flour this bread has a beautiful crumb that won’t fall apart.
It's also great toasted with a spread of butter on top while it’s still warm. Since the recipe only takes a few minutes to whip up, I always have a batch made for guest or even to just pair with a morning coffee. The crunch that this bread has from the folded in walnut pieces is what gets me every time! The best part -- no icing or glaze needed, it's wonderful as is.
adapted from: agirldefloured.com —Tatianna Gonzalez
Makes 1 medium loaf
- 1 1/4 cups All purpose gluten-free brown rice flour blend
- 1/4 cup walnut flour or meal
- 1 cup grated carrot (about 1 large or 2 medium carrots)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon guar gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar (dark brown may be substituted)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk (or non-dairy milk)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a medium size loaf pan and line with parchment paper and then set it aside.
- Put the all-purpose gluten-free flour, walnut flour, baking soda, baking powder, guar gum, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl and whisk until well combined.
- In another large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer (using the paddle attachment) add the brown sugar, canola oil, and eggs (one at a time) and beat or mix until smooth.
- Add in the milk, lemon juice, vanilla, and walnuts. Beat or mix until completely smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat until combined. Then add in the grated carrots and raisins (you can reserve some grated carrot and walnuts to sprinkle on top of bread before baking if desired.)
- Pour batter into greased pan and sprinkle the reserved carrot and walnuts on top. Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. (Cover the top of the loaf with foil if it starts to become to dark before the finished baking time.)
- Cool the bread on a wire rack for about 5 minutes in the pan, then carefully turn out to cool completely on a rack.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Walnuts