This is one of my absolute favorite flavors of ice cream, and I was thrilled to be able to recreate it at home with the help of a Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams base. This is adapted from her Roasted Strawberry & Buttermilk Ice Cream.
For the cooked red beans, do not use red bean paste; instead, make the recipe "red bean topping" on this account, or buy canned, sweetened red beans in which the beans are still intact. —Cynthia Chen McTernan
- Makes 1 quart
1 3/4 cups
whole milk, divided
(2 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups
light corn syrup
cooked, sweetened red beans (not paste), with syrup drained and reserved
red bean syrup (reserved from above)
- Mix about 2 tablespoons of the milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl to make a smooth slurry. In a separate bowl, whisk the cream cheese and salt until smooth. Fill a very large bowl with ice and water.
- Combine the remaining milk, cream, sugar, and corn syrup in a pot or large (4-quart) saucepan, bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat, and boil for 4 minutes, stirring continuously. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in the cornstarch slurry. Bring the mixture back to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, stirring with a heat-proof spatula, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, and gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the cream cheese, tablespoon by tablespoon, keeping it smooth. When you’ve added enough that the cream cheese mixture is liquid, add it back to the hot milk mixture and stir to combine. Combine the hot milk mixture with the sweetened red beans and red bean syrup and pour into a 1-gallon freezer bag or a large jar, then submerge in the ice bath and let cool completely.
- At this point, you can churn the mixture, or you can chill it overnight in the refrigerator. (I wanted a stronger red bean taste, so I let it sit overnight.) When you're ready to churn, follow the manufacturer's instructions on your ice cream maker, then freeze in the coldest part of your freezer until firm, about 4 hours.
- Scoop and serve with extra red bean topping!