- Prep time 24 hours
- Cook time 15 minutes
- Serves 2-4
For all you raw vegan lovers, this one's for you! Walnuts are a great alternative for "taco meat" both in texture and taste. Feel free to make it your own with the taco ingredients. Spices are probably already in your pantry. So simple to do ahead of time as well and keep for the week's lunches/dinner. Best part is it is so versatile! Leftovers can be made into meatballs mixed together with chickpeas, salad toppings, wraps and rolls, or sprinkled on sprouted bread with hummus. I encourage you to try it out for yourselves! —Stacy
- Raw Walnut Taco “Meat” – Gluten-free and Vegan
raw walnuts, soaked overnight
to 2 chili powder
cayenne or chipotle powder, if desired
lime juice, if desired
- Taco Ingredients
Optional Additions: baked beans, smashed into paste
pico de gallo, homemade (see below for simple recipe)
guacamole, homemade (see below for simple recipe)
raw cashew "cheese", homemade (see below for simple recipe)
Raw sprouted tortillas (alternatives: romaine lettuce leaves, chard leaves, nori, or purple cabbage "cups")
- Pico de gallo: 2 large tomatoes seeded & diced, 1/2 chopped and diced purple onion, 1/2-1 seeded and diced jalapeno, 2 garlic cloves smashed into a paste, handful of fresh cilantro chopped, juice of a lime, and salt. Add all ingredients together into a bowl and let it marinade while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Easy Guacamole: If you have a mortar pestle this would be an excellent opportunity to use it. If not a bowl and fork is perfectly good =) Smash together 2 large haas avocados, 1 tomato seeded and diced, 1/4-1/2 cup diced purple onion, handful of cilantro, diced jalapeno (if desired), and juice of a lime
- Taco meat: soak raw walnuts in water overnight. Rinse and drain. Add all taco "meat" ingredients into a food processor until a meat-like consistency is achieved. Incorporate well. Taste and adjust seasoning to desired taste.
- Raw cashew "cream": Soak 1.5-2 cups of raw cashews in water overnight. Rinse and drain. Add 1/3 cup of nutritional yeast, juice from 1 lemon, 1 large (or two small) garlic cloves smashed into a paste, 1.5 heaping tablespoon of shiro (white) miso, and salt and pepper to taste into a food processor and blend until smooth. Steam in additional water, by the tablespoon, as needed for "cheese" consistency. **Instead of hard cheese, I made the cashew cheese more of a cream to dress my raw tacos!**
- To assemble: Layer just as you would for tacos and dress with the cashew "cheese". You can use raw sprouted tortillas. Other alternatives, which are just as great include chard leaves, romaine lettuce leaves, nori, or purple cabbage leaves!