If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Broccoli-nut salad is a Southern potluck staple. Raw broccoli florets are combined with grated carrots, diced red onions, and candied walnuts then tossed with a slightly tangy and sweet dressing. Some folks add bacon bits, others add dried cranberries or raisins, and then there are those that mix in salted peanuts, but we like ours with candied walnuts. However you like it, it's the perfect summer meal served outdoors. While you can always make your own candied walnuts, we picked up a bag on our last trip to Trader Joe's. —janeofmanytrade
Food52 Review: WHO: Janeofmanytrade is a pastry chef with a green thumb and an adoring cat.
WHAT: A tangy-and-sweet side to be shared.
HOW: Dress broccoli, carrots, onion, and walnuts in a mayonnaise-and-honey vinaigrette. Toss and serve—it's even better the next day!
WHY WE LOVE IT: A simple make-ahead salad that transforms crunchy, creamy, tangy, and sweet into a well-balanced dish. Consider adding elbow macaroni to turn it into a pasta salad! —The Editors
Makes: about 6 cups
cups broccoli florets, chopped into bite-sized pieces
carrots, peeled then grated
cup finely diced red onion
cup chopped candied walnuts
tablespoons wildflower honey
tablespoon cider vinegar, plus more as desired
teaspoon sea salt
- In a mixing bowl, toss together the broccoli, carrot, onion, and walnuts. Set aside while you prepare the dressing.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, honey, and vinegar. Taste the dressing. If it is a little too sweet for you, add another tablespoon of vinegar. Add the salt, combine, and pour over the vegetables and walnuts.
- Toss the salad until the vegetables are well coated. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Before serving, toss the salad once again and serve it chilled.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe