Author Notes: A couple of weeks ago some rutabagas arrived in my Veg Box and I wasn't quite sure what to do with them.
It is a bit hot for soup so I made these fritters (using the spring onions from my Veg Box too) which were a hit with everyone.
They are easy to make but take a bit of patience to cook. I use a pancake pan where 3 can fit together.
Best served with a crunchy salad and eaten warm. —The Flexitarian
large organic eggs
spring onions (finely chopped)
tablespoons plain flour
tablespoons chives (finely chopped)
salt & pepper
olive oil for frying
- Peel rutabagas and potatoes. Grate both in a large salad bowl with the coarser side of a cheese grater.
- Press any extra moisture out with a kitchen towel.
- Beat eggs together in a separate bowl. Mix in spring onions, chives and crumbled feta.
- Pour mixture over the grated vegetables and mix until well blended
- Add flour. Mix again until you have a slightly sticky vegetable paste.
- Season to taste.
- Heat some oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Shape each fritter by hand (around 2 generous tablespoon or 1cm thick and 10 cm diameter).
- Under medium to high heat, fry 2-3 potato pancakes at the time (depending on the size of your pan) for around 5 mins on each side until golden brown.
- Keep cooked fritters warm covered in the oven until you are ready to serve them.