Author Notes: Cake donuts cut into bar form, with no special donut pan needed! —Erin McDowell
Makes 8 large bars (plus some scraps)
For the donut bars:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups blueberries
For the buttermilk glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- With a wooden spoon, beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until well-combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolk, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Alternate adding the dry and wet ingredients to the butter mixture alternately, in 2 or 3 additions each. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the blueberries. Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 9- by 9-inch cake pan, then bake in a 350° F oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 30 minutes. Cool completely, then cut into 8 bars.
- To make the glaze, whisk the powdered sugar, buttermilk, and milk together to combine. Make sure the glaze is runny. Add additional milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed.
- Place the bars on a wire rack and pour the glaze over top. Letit set completely before serving.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!