If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love salad for lunch or occasionally for a light dinner in which case it needs to be super hearty. The more unusual the ingredients, the better. I concocted this one while pregnant with my daughter, Heron when I craved super foods. It is packed with them. The lime, chili, and sweet potato also make delicious companions. I love what happens when you add vinaigrette to warm potatoes. It absorbs the flavors like a sponge instead of sitting on top. For this one, I dress the warm quinoa and roasted sweet potatoes and dress the greens separate. —aimee heimbinder | heartandheron.com
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/3 cup walnuts or pumpkin seeds
- 1 avocado
- 3 cups hearty mixed greens
- 2 pinches salt and pepper
chili lime vinaigrette
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Prepare quinoa per package instructions.
- Preheat oven to 350. Peel your sweet potato and cut into 1-inch chunks. Toss the sweet potato with olive oil and salt and pepper. Place on parchment-lined cookie sheet and roast for about 25 minutes, flipping them over once in the middle of roasting.
- Slice avocado.
- Prepare the dressing. Then combine the warm ingredients (quinoa and sweet potato) and add half of your dressing to those ingredients.
- Toss the remaining ingredients with the dressing and compose your salad.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe