Author Notes: The combination of sweet tomatoes and salty kalamata olives is mouth-watering. Literally, it is the perfect pairing. Add in some fresh thyme, good olive oil and creamy mozzarella, serve as an appetizer, or do like I did. Sit down with a big bottle of wine, a fresh loaf of bread, and eat it all! —localhaven
cups cherry tomatoes (or any tomato variety you prefer)
cup kalamata olives
sprigs fresh thyme
pinch sea salt and freshly ground pepper
tablespoons olive oil
teaspoons balsamic vinegar
ounces fresh mozzarella
loaf of french bread
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Using a small roasting pan, coat the bottom with olive oil and add tomatoes, kalamata olives and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to combine and top with fresh thyme.
- Roast for 35 minutes and add mozzarella cheese. Roast for another 10-15 minutes, or until the tomatoes begin to split open.
- Remove from the oven and toss with balsamic vinegar.
- While the tomatoes and kalamata olives are roasting, slice french bread and toast until golden brown.
- Serve scooping the tomatoes, olives and melted mozzarella over the toasted bread. Make sure to soak up the juices with your bread, and of course, enjoy this with a big glass of wine.
- Have leftovers, serve the next morning with a poached egg on top.