If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A sparkly Champagne base spiked with gin and lemon juice, topped with a sweet, tart, perfectly pink rhubarb float, all in a refreshing, juicy little square of jelly. —Anna Hezel
Makes 30 squares
- 1 pound rhubarb, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan on medium-low heat and simmer for about an hour, or until liquid turns a bright ruby red and rhubarb has softened.
- Cool to room temperature, and strain through a mesh strainer.
- 2 cups rhubarb syrup, divided
- 8 packets powdered gelatin, like Knox
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup gin
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups champagne
- Wipe a 9 x 13-inch rectangular baking pan with about a teaspoon of vegetable oil. Heat 1 1/2 cups of the rhubarb syrup in a small saucepan, until it is hot but not boiling, and whisk in 2 packets of gelatin. Whisk for 2 to 3 minutes, and allow to cool slightly. Pour through a mesh strainer (to get out any lumps of gelatin) into the prepared baking pan, and refrigerate for about an hour, until solidified.
- Now heat 1 cup of lemon juice with remaining 1/2 cup of rhubarb syrup and 1/4 cup of sugar in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved and mixture is hot but not boiling. Remove from heat and whisk in remaining 6 packets of gelatin, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour through a mesh strainer into a large mixing bowl. Whisk in gin, followed by champagne, and pour into baking pan, over the rhubarb layer. Refrigerate for 4 to 5 hours or overnight.
- Once the jelly has solidified, run a thin spatula around the edges to loosen it from the pan. Set a large cutting board over the top of the pan, and carefully invert, so that the jelly flips onto the cutting board in one big rectangle. Using a straight, sharp knife, cut jelly into 1-inch squares and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!