Author Notes: My Great Aunt, Vangelica, who we always called Lella Ginda, made an eggplant dish similar to this one. She dusted eggplant slices with flour and fried them and then layered them with great amounts of lemon and garlic. I always loved it and have made it several times. This time I took the eggplant out of the frying pan and on to the grill ... —inpatskitchen
Serves: 4 to 6
small to medium purple eggplants
cup extra virgin olive oil plus a little more for drizzling
large cloves garlic, finely minced
cup chopped parsley
- Slice the eggplants into rounds just under 1/2 inch and using a pastry brush, brush the exposed sides with the oil. (Make sure that each surface is covered). Lightly salt the slices and then take them to the grill and over medium heat, grill them until a bit charred and softened.
- Arrange about half of the slices on a dinner plate, sprinkle with half of the garlic and squeeze the juice of one lemon over. Drizzle with just a bit of olive oil. Lightly salt again and sprinkle half of the parsley over. Arrange the remaining eggplant slices over and repeat the process.
- Cover the plate tightly and refrigerate for at least 2 hours(longer is better). Bring to room temperature to serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Grilled Vegetable Dish