After along day at work, the last thing anyone wants to do is slave over a hot stove--especially in the summer! I got inspiration for this soup because it's quick, healthy and delicious, with minimal clean-up afterwards. —Aleksandra Solak
- Serves 4
mixed mushrooms of your choice (crimini, chanterelle, oyster, white button, etc.)
veggie or beef stock
large yellow onion (sliced)
chipotle chile pepper (more or less depending on your heat level preference)
truffle oil (optional)!
In This Recipe
- In 2 quart pot, heat olive oil and add onions.
- Sauté the onions on medium heat and add the mushrooms.
- After the onions and mushrooms look golden, add thyme and stock.
- Bring the stock up to a simmer and cover. Cook covered on low heat for about 30 -minutes.
- Take off heat and let the soup cool. Start pureeing the soup in small batches, in a food processor or blender. Pour the blended mixture into a separate bowl.
- Using the same pot, melt butter and add flour on low heat while whisking constantly for a minute or two. You want the flour taste to cook off but make sure it does not burn or lump.
- While constantly whisking the roux (flour and butter mix), slowly pour the mushroom puree back into the pot. Keep stirring the mixture to prevent lumps until hot.
- Add sour cream and heavy cream.
- Crush the dried oregano in your palms and add to the soup, along with chipotle powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with some sourdough bread or a baguette.
- **If you are feeling crazy and would like to jazz this up with a touch of truffle oil, do this as the last step--either a tiny drizzle on each serving or about a teaspoon to the whole batch right before serving**