If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The next time you're at your farmer's market buying a bundle of carrots, KEEP the carrot tops (**ONLY IF BUYING ORGANIC, non-organic is not recommended for consumption such as in this recipe). You'll thank me after trying out this recipe. This is excellent as a spread in wraps, thin it with EVOO for a delicious pesto vinaigrette, mix into your eggs for a pesto-scramble, pesto potato salad, pesto pasta, mix with greek yogurt and serve as a pesto dip, spoon over roasted carrots/vegetables, or serve as a base for your pizzas as seen in this recipe below. So many ways you can use it!
BENEFITS: The carrot tops are very healing and can help rid the body of toxins due to their antiseptic, diuretic and stimulating properties. They are full of chlorophyll, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, especially Vitamin K, potassium and contain 6 times more Vitamin C than the carrot!! So think again the next time you want to make pesto! —Stacy
Makes 1 batch
- 1 bunch carrot tops, washed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup basil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (optional: toasted)
- juice of 1 lemon
- Optional: zest of a lemon
- In a food processor add pine nuts and garlic and pulse until finely ground.
- Add basil, Parmesan, and carrot tops. Process until coarse pulse form.
- Steam in EVOO until desired pesto consistency. Option to adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- DO AHEAD: Pesto can be made 1 day ahead. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface and place in the fridge.
- FOR THE PIZZA: Spread on to tortilla/pizza dough/gluten free chickpea pizza (RECIPE ON MY PROFILE), top with desired toppings and serve. If adding cheese, you can put this in your oven on broiler to melt the cheese (2-3 min).