If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've had many terrible vegetarian lasagnas in my day, folks. I just knew I could come up with something better than thick white sauce and sodium-filled paste slathered between lasagna noodles. This quick, hearty, and healthy vegetarian lasagna is filled with avocados, tomatillos, tomatoes, and black beans. —Mary Catherine Tee
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 6 tomatillos, halved
- 2 ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups black beans, cooked or canned
- 2 avocados, scooped from their shells and roughly chopped
- 2 1/2 (+/-) cups mozzarella
- 12 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 packet lasagna noodles
- lemon wedges
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook entire box of lasagna noodles for 8-ish minutes in boiling water. Drain noodles and rinse with cold water so they stop cooking.
- While the noodles are cooking, preheat the over to 375 degrees. Pour olive oil in skillet and sauté the chopped onions for about 5 minutes over medium heat, or until translucent.
- Meanwhile, add halved tomatillos, quartered tomatoes, seeded jalapeno, and a generous pinch of salt in the bowl of your food processor. Turn on the low setting and mix until the ingredients are the texture of salsa.
- Add garlic and cumin to the skillet with the onions and cook for a couple minutes more. Add tomato-tomatillo sauce and black beans to the onions and garlic. Stir and reduce heat to simmer.
- Mix cottage cheese, avocado chunks, one lightly beaten egg, 1/2 cup of mozzarella, garlic and onion powders, salt and pepper, and 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley.
- Now, it's time to assemble the lasagna! Prepare a 9x13 baking dish with olive oil or cooking spray. Ladle about a cup of sauce in the bottom of the pan and distribute evenly. Lay 3 lasagna noodles on top. Cover noodles with about a cup of sauce. Cover sauce with about 1/2 cup of avocado-cottage cheese mixture, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with a handful of mozzarella.
- Layer 3 noodles on top of mozz and repeat--sauce, cottage cheese-avocado, shredded cheese--three more times, ending with noodles. Reserve a little extra sauce to spread over the noodles and top with copious amounts of mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with fresh cilantro or parsley.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Take foil off of pan and bake 5 more minutes, or long enough for the cheese on top to melt and bubble.
- Serve warm with a squirt of lemon juice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Avocados