If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The best summer sandwich? Ice Cream, of course! Creamy chocolate avocado ice cream squeezed between two chocolate chip cookies is a great way to sneak a few more avocados into your daily diet. Avocados aren't just for savory dishes anymore! —Fork Vs Spoon - Mallory
Makes 10 to 12 sandwiches
- 20-24 Chocolate Chip Cookies (about 2 to 3 inches in diameter) - homemade or store bought.
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 12 ounces avocado flesh (about 3 medium avocados)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 12 ounces whole milk
- 1 tablespoon bourbon or vodka (optional)
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- In a small saucepan, whisk together heavy cream, unsweetened cocoa powder, honey, and granulated sugar. Place over medium heat and cook until sugar is dissolved and cocoa powder is fully incorporated. Transfer to a container with a lid and store in refrigerator until chilled thoroughly - at least 6 to 8 hours. Once chilled, begin on step 2.
- In a blender, combine avocado, lemon juice, and whole milk. Blend until smooth.
- Add chocolate mixture and blend until thoroughly combined. Mix in salt and bourbon or vodka (helps the ice cream remain scoop-able once frozen).
- Pour ice cream mixture into ice cream maker and churn according to directions from manufacturer. Once churned, transfer to a loaf pan and cover with plastic wrap and store in freezer until frozen through - at least 3 to 4 hours.
- Once frozen, remove from freezer and let sit at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes until it is scoop-able. To construct ice cream sandwiches, place one scoop of ice cream - about 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup - on the bottom of one cookie and place the second cookie on top of ice cream scoop. Gently squeeze cookies together. Roll edges of ice cream sandwich in mini chocolate chips. Place sandwiches on a cookie sheet and place in freezer for about an hour to refreeze. Once frozen, wrap each sandwich individually in plastic wrap and store in freezer. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Avocados