If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The natural sugars of sweet summer corn, roasted carrots and stone fruit are balanced by creamy avocado in this composed salad. The acidity of the vinaigrette adds balance, while frying the avocado provides a necessary textural element. —brisketandbagels.com
Serves 3-4 as an appetizer
- 4 medium-sized carrots halved lengthwise
- 1 large nectarine segmented into 8-10 slices (1/2 inch width)
- 1 avocado segmented into 8-10 slices (1/2 inch width)
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil for frying
- 3 tomatillos diced
- 1 serrano pepper minced (remove seeds if you prefer less heat)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ears corn, kernels removed
- 1 sprig mint
- Toss the carrots in 1 Tbsp olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes till browned and soft. Transfer cooled carrots to blender and puree till smooth and the consistency of thick paste. A little water (or alternatively orange juice) can be used to thin carrots to desired consistency.
- Grill nectarine segments on a hot grill pan for just enough time to mark but not soften the fruit, about 30 seconds per side.
- Lightly dredge avocado in flour. Dip slices in beaten egg and then coat with panko breadcrumbs. Pan fry in 1/2 inch of hot vegetable oil till golden brown, approximately 30 seconds per side. Transfer to paper towel lined plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Toast cumin seeds in hot pan for 30-60 seconds till fragrant. Transfer to spice grinder and pulse just a few times to slightly break down the seeds. Reserve 1/4 tsp cumin. Combine remaining cumin, tomatillos, Serrano peppers, orange juice and 1/2 Tbsp olive oil. Season with salt.
- Reserve 1/8 cup of corn kernels. Transfer remaining corn to blender and puree.
- To plate, spoon carrot puree in a line across the center of a large plate. Alternate slices of avocado and nectarines atop the carrot. Spoon on salsa. Next add small spoonfuls of pureed corn around the edges of the carrot puree. Sprinkle with remaining corn kernels. If mint leaves are large, tear into smaller pieces and sprinkle atop salad. Dust salad with remaining cumin.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Avocados