If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: this was a thursday night "what's left in the fridge" moment, and I was wholly surprised with the outcome. my husband and I ate almost the entire thing, which realistically is more avocado than any one person should consume in a day... but as the youth says these days, "yolo".
the mix of creamy avo and slightly spicy radish, layered in a buttery pastry crust, was the perfect end to a mid-week work day. the avocado stayed green through cooking too, which I was pretty stoked on. —Megan Taylor
Serves 4 (or 2 if you're like us, shhh)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (and some extra for your work surface)
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 8 tablespoons salted butter (1 stick), cut into large pieces
- 1/4 cup full fat greek yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/6 cup ice cold water
- 2 avocados, peeled pitted and sliced
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/4 tsp dried)
- 1 tablespoon raw pine nuts (for topping)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (for topping)
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs (for topping)
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt (for topping)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme (for topping)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (for topping)
- 1 egg yolk
- Begin the pastry dough (it must chill for at least an hour so plan time). Combine the flour and table salt in a medium bowl.
- Add the butter and mash it together with your hands until a mealy dough forms. The butter should be in small chunks.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, vinegar, and water. Add this to the flour mixture.
- Stir until a sticky dough forms. You may have to ball it up with your hands to get it to fully combine.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour, and up to 1 day.
- After the dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten until about 1/4 inch thick.
- Move the dough to the lined baking sheet.
- Begin the filling.
- Heat the olive oil in a small sautee pan. Add the minced garlic and cook over medium heat until lightly browned, about one minute. Turn the heat to low and add the cream, salt, pepper, and thyme. Cook over low heat until the cream has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cream from heat. Layer the avocado and radish in the center of the pastry dough, leaving a 2 inch border. Spoon the cream over the radish and avocado.
- Fold the pastry dough border over the edge of the filling, pinching to make it snug.
- Mix the topping. In a small bowl, combine the pine nuts, parmesan, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and thyme. Sprinkle over the top of the galette.
- Briefly whisk the egg yolk and brush it over the crust.
- Bake on the top rack for 30-35 minutes, until crust and cheese are golden.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with fresh green salad and a crisp sauvignon blanc.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Avocados