- Makes 4-8
While this is not a true ratatouille, this galette is inspired by the flavor combination of the traditional stewed dish. The eggplant, yellow squash and cherry tomatoes roast, while the homemade rosemary pastry crisps up. —Emily Salshutz
What You'll Need
- For the Pastry
cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes and chilled
plain greek yogurt
fresh lemon juice
- For putting it all together
garlic cloves, crushed
fresh black pepper
large eggplant, sliced thinly and cut in half moon shapes
yellow squash,sliced thinly
grape tomatoes, sliced thinly
egg yolk, combined with a dash of water for egg wash
- Start by preparing the rosemary dust for the galette pastry. Remove the leaves from the stem of the rosemary. Coat the leaves generously with cooking spray. Microwave for 2.5 minutes on high. Allow the leaves to cool and then grind in a coffee grinder until a fine dust.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, salt and rosemary dust. Add the butter and using your hands or a pastry cutter combine until the butter is incorporated. Add the yogurt, lemon juice and ice water and continue to combine until the mixture forms a ball of dough. Place this wrapped in the fridge for at least an hour before use.
- Meanwhile prepare the vegetables, and place them on a a paper towel with a bit of salt to drain.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix together the ricotta, parmesan, onion powder, garlic and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Remove the pastry dough from the fridge. Roll out into a circle on a lined baking sheet. Fill the center of the pastry with the filling allotting space around the edge for flipping over the crust.
- Working from the outside in alternate between the eggplant and yellow squash. Tuck the tomatoes into empty spaces, distributing evenly.
- Fold over the excess dough onto some of the vegetables.
- Brush the exposed crust with the egg wash.
- Place the pan and gallete in the oven. Set your timer for 40 minutes, checking to make sure the vegetables soften and the crust becomes golden brown. Serve right away or cooled.