a summer treat when the freshest young and tender zucchini are available. this is a perfect side dish for a hot summer day served with grilled fish, chicken or meat of your choice.
a summer treat when the freshest young and tender zucchini are available. this is a perfect side dish for a hot summer day served with grilled fish, chicken or meat of your choice.—cucina di mammina
Serves: approx. 4-6
small to medium young & tender garden-fresh zucchini, skin on (washed well and ends trimmed)
fresh basil leaves, washed and dried
1 large fresh lemon
very good quality extra virgin olive oil
sea salt & black pepper to taste
wedge of imported grana padano parmigiano cheese (you can also use a wedge of imported manchego cheese)
- Dry the zucchini well and using a vegetable peeler, carefully slice the zucchini into thin beautiful strips, continue this until all the zucchini has been cut and place them into a very large deep bowl.
- In a small plate, using a cheese slicer or a vegetable peeler, create paper thin pieces of the hard cheese of your choice, enough to please your taste preference.
- About 10 minutes or so before serving your meal, drizzle a good dose of olive oil and add some sea salt and pepper to the zucchini strips. Mix gently until well coated. Squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice from the lemon, and blend well.
- Taste for any more seasoning needed and lastly, chop some of the basil leaves and add these as well as a small dash of lemon zest to the top.
- Finish with a good handful of the thinly sliced cheese and serve immediately with grilled meats, fish and toasted crostini bread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Zucchini or Summer Squash
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer