If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: a summer treat when the freshest young and tender zucchini are available. this is a perfect side dish for a hot summer day served with grilled fish, chicken or meat of your choice. —cucina di mammina
Serves approx. 4-6
- 3-6 small to medium young & tender garden-fresh zucchini, skin on (washed well and ends trimmed)
- fresh basil leaves, washed and dried
- 1 large fresh lemon
- very good quality extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 wedge of imported grana padano parmigiano cheese (you can also use a wedge of imported manchego cheese)
- Dry the zucchini well and using a vegetable peeler, carefully slice the zucchini into thin beautiful strips, continue this until all the zucchini has been cut and place them into a very large deep bowl.
- In a small plate, using a cheese slicer or a vegetable peeler, create paper thin pieces of the hard cheese of your choice, enough to please your taste preference.
- About 10 minutes or so before serving your meal, drizzle a good dose of olive oil and add some sea salt and pepper to the zucchini strips. Mix gently until well coated. Squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice from the lemon, and blend well.
- Taste for any more seasoning needed and lastly, chop some of the basil leaves and add these as well as a small dash of lemon zest to the top.
- Finish with a good handful of the thinly sliced cheese and serve immediately with grilled meats, fish and toasted crostini bread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Zucchini or Summer Squash
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer