If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is an easy lactofermentation of white and purple cabbage with spices. The cloves and cinnamon add a sweetness and spice to this recipe that makes it pair well with many different cuisines. —Emily
Makes so much
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cloves and/or cinnamon
- 3 pounds mixed cabbage, washed and sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons Salt, plus more for brine if necessary
- 1-2 gallons Fermentation Crock
- Half, remove core, and slice cabbage. Slices should be made to your liking and relatively uniform. The smaller the slices, the faster the cabbage will ferment.
- Partially grind the seeds and spiced in a mortar and pestle
- Crush and slice garlic.
- Layer a portion of the cabbage in the bottom of the crock. Sprinkle some salt and spice on the layer and press down. Continue layering cabbage, salt, garlic.and spices until the cabbage is gone.
- Continue to press the cabbage down into the crock until a the brine covers the top of the cabbage. If after an hour or so this hasnt happened, make a simple brine of 2 t salt to 1 cup water and cover the cabbage.
- add a weight to keep the cabbage under the water, cover, and store in a dark, cool place. Check on the fermentation weekly until your desired tang is achieved.