- Prep time 5 minutes
- Cook time 20 minutes
- Serves 2
I like to build my quesadillas directly in a hot pan, first to get the cheese meltage starting, and also because transferring a fully loaded 'dilla from a work surface to a pan can be spilly and dangerous. If you're more of a build-then-cook type of person, do that! It's a quesadilla. There's not laws. —Kendra Vaculin
ears of corn, husks and silks removed
heaping cup shredded pepper jack cheese
medium summer squash or zucchini, sliced into 1/4 inch-thick rounds
Freshly ground pepper
Tomatillo salsa (homemade or store-bought), for serving
- If you have a real live grill, fire that baby up (also I'm coming over). Place the corn directly on the grill grates and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly charred on all sides, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- If you have a gas stove, turn one burner to medium-high. Working one ear at a time, place the corn directly on the grate or coils (you can also hold the corn aloft in the flame with tongs, if you'd prefer). Cook, turning occasionally, until lightly charred on all sides, about 4 to 6 minutes. Some kernels may pop as they cook. For either grilling method, when cool enough to handle, cut the kernels off the cobs.
- Top two of the tortillas with the goat cheese, spread into an even layer. Set aside. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add one plain tortilla; top with an even sprinkling of cheese and grilled corn. Add the sliced zucchini, shingling the pieces as necessary, in a single layer. Sprinkle with more cheese and a few turns of black pepper. Top with a goat cheese'd tortilla, cheese side down.
- Cook about 2 minutes on the first side, or until the cheese is beginning to melt. Carefully flip and continue to cook, about 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a cutting board and slice into wedges. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Serve with salsa.
- If your pan isn't big enough to fit one flat tortilla, make 4 folded-over quesadillas instead of 2 two-layer ones. Pile up the filling on one half of the tortilla, then fold the other side over the filling. Cook about 6 minutes per side, or until golden brown and the cheese is melted. Slice into wedges.