If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a simple chopped salad of greens, chicken, and bread, flecked with briny anchovy, flakes of cheese, and a generous squeeze of lemon. The result is crisp, fresh, and vibrant, and the flavor of the lettuce holds strong despite the bold flavors and textures. —CarolineWright
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 romaine hearts, halved lengthwise with root intact
- 2 chicken cutlets (about 1/2 pound total)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Two 1-inch slices fresh country bread
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 ounces pecorino cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Stir together 2 tablespoons olive oil, paprika, and anchovy paste, and toss with romaine. Season chicken generously with salt and pepper and rub with 1 tablespoon oil. Brush bread with remaining tablespoon oil and season both sides with salt and pepper. Grill lettuce, chicken, and bread alongside each other, turning each once, until lettuce has charred marks on its cut side (about 1 to 2 minutes total), bread is charred on both sides (1 to 2 minutes total), and chicken is cooked through (about 2 to 3 minutes per side).
- While chicken, lettuce, and bread cool, stir together lemon juice and mayonnaise in a large bowl. Season dressing with salt and pepper. Slice chicken, lettuce, and bread into 1- to 2-inch pieces and transfer to bowl with dressing. Scatter pecorino over top of salad and toss. Serve salad in bowls with additional lemon wedges, if desired.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!