Author Notes: Not many of us have ordered Grasshoppers in the past 40 years, and it's easy to see why: Traditionally, the drink is equal parts cheap crème de menthe, crème de cacao, and heavy cream -- shaken and served in a martini glass -- and is precisely the color of milky Astroturf. Portland bartender Jeffrey Morgenthaler's version is much better, and just what you want on a hot night: creamy, sweet, cooling, bitter, and salty -- all keeping one another in check. Adapted slightly from Pepe Le Moko and Portland Monthly Magazine. —Genius Recipes
- 1 1/2 ounces green crème de menthe
- 1 1/2 ounces white crème de cacao
- 1 ounce half and half
- 1 teaspoon Fernet Branca
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) vanilla ice cream
- 8 ounces (1 cup) crushed ice, prepared with a Lewis bag and mallet, tea towel and rolling pin, or a food processor
- Mint sprig for garnish
- Combine all ingredients except the mint sprig in a blender, and blend on high speed until smooth. Serve in a tall, frozen glass, and garnish with a mint sprig.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!