If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These little Ukrainian rye and cottage cheese griddle cakes are delicious for breakfast or dessert. You can make the fruit sauce with any type of juicy fruit, like berries, cherries, or pears. —zahlicious
For the Syrniki (Griddle Cakes)
- 1 pound farmer's cheese
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons rye flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds of
- butter, for frying
- Combine all ingredients, except for butter, in a blender. Blend on high until the mixture is smooth and only tiny cheese lumps remain. Cover the batter and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat. Spoon the batter into the skillet. You will have to spread the batter into a circle, as it is very thick. Fry gently until the underside is golden, then flip and do the same to the other side.
For the Strawberry Varenye (Strawberry-Honey Sauce)
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 ounces honey
- 1 pinch salt
- Put the strawberries and honey in a saucepan over low heat. Once the strawberry juices start to run, turn up the heat to boil. Once the mixture hits a boil, immediately reduce the heat to medium low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the strawberries are very soft and the syrup has thickened.
- Cool and store in a jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.