Author Notes: This incredibly simple Asian stir-fry brings out the sweet, nutty flavor of amaranth with a kick of ginger and fish sauce. It's a big hit as a side dish at Chef Phet's Laotian restaurant Khe Yo (www.kheyo.com) in New York City. For a one pot meal at home, we add ground beef and white corn kernels and serve it over steamed rice. —tama matsuoka wong
cups amaranth leaves and stems, clipped from the top 3 inches of the young plant
tablespoons canola oil, or enough to coat the bottom of a wok or pan
tablespoon sliced fresh ginger
tablespoon fish sauce
- Put a pan or wok over high heat and add the oil.
- Add the ginger and let it sizzle until lightly brown.
- Next, add the amaranth and drizzle it with the fish sauce.
- Stir for 2 to 3 minutes, or until it turns a deep green.
- Remove it from the heat and serve.