If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In the Thessalonica Greece, the traditional aubergine recipe of melintzanosalata is made differently. The skin of the veg is burnt so that it gets a smoky taste.
In Athens, at Papadakis restaurant, the chef Argiro Barbarigou, makes her own version. My recipe is based on hers.
It can be cooked ahead and kept in the fridge, as it is best eaten at room temperature.
tablespoons olive oil
grams halloumi or mozzarella cheese, thickly grated
pinches salt and pepper
- Heat the oven grill to the maximum. Cut the green stalks off the aubergines and place them on an oven tray. do not oil anything.
- Place the tray as close as possible to the heat. After 10 to 15 minutes check if the skin is hard or burnt and turn. Do the same for the other side.
- Turn off the oven, but leave the aubergines inside for another 15 minutes. Take out and leave to cool completely.
- Peal the the skin off carefully so you do not get the burnt stuff. an easy way is to cut them across and scoop the flesh, scraping the skin as well.
- Do not mush the flesh. Serve by pouring the olive oil, salt and pepper and afterwards the cheese on top.