Author Notes: This recipe is a simple cake doughnut for days when you don't want to bother with yeast. Very easy to make and the taste is amazing! For common pitfalls of this recipe visit: darkchocolatealchemist.com/kneading/cinnamon-vanilla-cake-doughnuts/ —Alchemist
Serves: 10-12 doughnuts
cups AP flour (plus more for flouring or if sticky)
teaspoons Baking Powder
tablespoons butter (frozen)
cups vegetable oil (for frying)
cup lowfat yogurt
teaspoon vanilla extract
cup white sugar
- Sift dry ingredients.
- Remove butter from freezer and grate into flour mixture.
- Use finger tips to rub the butter into flour mixture. The goal is to incorporate about half of the butter into the flour. You want to see the rest in the form of bits and bumps that are pea size.
- Stick butter and flour mixture in the freezer.
- Combine wet ingredients and beat well.
- Remove dry ingredients from freezer then dump wet ingredients into the dry ingredients using a rubber spatula.
- Knead the dough for 30 seconds. If the dough is too difficult to handle add flour in 1/4 cup increments.
- Put dough in freezer for about 10 minutes (or until easy to mold).
- Mold the dough into spheres or doughnut shapes then place dough on lightly greased pan. At this point, begin heating the oil.
- Fry biscuits in oil (325F- 340 F) until golden then flip onto other side and fry until golden.
- * For cinnamon vanilla glaze, combine 2 cups of confectioner's sugar, 1 tsp of vanilla extract, 4.5 tbs of milk, and 1 tsp of lemon juice.