If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love using peas in simple ways since they have such a great flavor by themselves. What better way to do that than a quick and easy pea soup dressed with some sourdough croutons and pea shoots? —Summer Min
Serves 4 to 6
For the Croutons:
- 2 cups cubed sourdough bread
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
For the Soup:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups green peas, fresh or frozen
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- pea shoots for serving
- olive oil for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper over bread. Toss and transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and crispy. Let cool.
- In a dutch oven or stock pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add leeks, garlic, and bay leaves. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes until soft and translucent, do not let the veggies brown. Add peas, water, and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes. Don't overcook the peas or they will start turning a swampy green color and loose much of their vibrance. Turn off heat, discard bay leaves, and blend in batches until smooth.
- Ladle into bowls, top with croutons, pea shoots, a drizzle of olive oil and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup