If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A zesty soup to start your meal! —inpatskitchen
- 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp (I used 21-25's) sliced in half lengthwise*
- 1/2 of a lemon sliced
- About 5 cups water
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 large ripe tomato,seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 heaping tablespoons of prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 24 ounces vegetable or tomato juice
- 2 teaspoons of your favorite hot sauce
- Salt for seasoning if you feel you need it
- Minced chives for garnish (and maybe a chive flower or two)
- In a medium sauce pan, bring the water and lemon slices to a boil. Add the shrimp and when the liquid just starts to come back to a boil, turn the heat off and cover the pan. Let rest for a minute or two and then drain the shrimp and rinse with cold water. Transfer them to a bowl, cool and then chill for a couple of hours.
- For the soup, place the onion, bell pepper, garlic, tomato, lemon juice, horseradish, tomato or vegetable juice, worcestershire sauce and hot sauce in a blender and blend until smooth. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, divide the shrimp among 4 small soup bowls. Ladle 1/4 of the soup over each bowl and garnish with minced chives.
- * I think chunks of lobster, king crab meat and even crawfish tail meat would be terrific as an alternative to the shrimp!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup