If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: As the winner of the 2014 35th Annual Hemingway Look Alike Contest in Key West, Fl I find myself visualizing Hemingway enjoying a dish at the Finca Vigia in Havana. In other recipes I have revived the Hemingway Burger and my version of India Relish. This recipe is delightful as a 1st Course for an elegant dinner party. It is quick to assemble and very tasty on a warm Summer evening. —Wallyspub
- 6 cups Seedless watermelon
- 1 Heirloom tomato
- 1 Shallot
- Fresh Ginger
- Olive oil
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 Orange
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Lemon and lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- 4 Ahi Tuna steaks, 3 oz. each
- 1 tablespoon Flour
- Garnish do finely diced Cilantro, Mint, green onion.
- Purée watermelon in three batches. Hold in non-reactive bowl.
- Heat oil in sauté pan and 'sweat' shallots and ginger...stir frequently. Add garlic and turn heat to simmer for 2 minutes. Do not burn.
- Add orange juice and pulp plus vinegar and deglaze pan. Move tole Add OJ, pulp and vinegar, deglaze pan and move all to blender and purée.
- Combine all and strain to remove solids. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Ahi Steaks: lightly flour steaks and season with salt and pepper. Sauté in large pan for two minutes on each side.
- Ladle soup in shallow bowl 10 minutes ahead of serving to warm to room temp. Center cooked steaks in bowl and garnish with pinch of cilantro, mint and green onion. Drip lemon/ lime juice on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup