If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: As peanuts became a staple crop in Virginia during the Civil War, peanut soup became popular as well. Many historians claim George Washington enjoyed the soup so much that he ate it every day. This healthy, satisfying soup is sure to please even the pickiest palate! —WeLike2Cook
medium onion, minced
ribs of celery, minced
cups vegetable or chicken broth
cup peanut butter
cup sour cream
cup roasted peanuts, chopped (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium sauté pan, melt the butter and sweat the minced onion and minced celery over low heat for 10 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in one cup of chicken stock. Using an immersion blender (or food processor), puree vegetables in the broth.
- Pass the mixture through a fine sieve reserving broth and discarding excess solids.
- Add remaining the chicken broth and peanut butter, and return to medium heat to simmer the mixture for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the sour cream and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into heated bowls and garnish each serving with I tablespoon chopped roasted peanuts, a dusting of paprika and/or chopped celery greens. You could even add a dollop of grape jelly for the youngest at the table for PBJ soup!
- Visit welike2cook.com for more incredible recipes and tips!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup