Pumpkin Polenta Cake with Tomatillo-Avocado Salsa recipe from Ricky Eisen, President and Founder of Between the Bread (http://www.betweenthebread.com/), Manhattan’s premier café and corporate catering company for more than 35 years. —Between the Bread
- Serves 4-6
Can of pumpkin puree
Milk or Half & half
- Heat the water in a deep saucepan until boiling and add a pinch of sea salt, to taste.
- Pour the polenta into the simmering water, stirring with a whisk as you pour.
- Continue to whisk for a minute or two as the polenta cooks and adjust the heat to medium-low heat, so that the mixture gently simmers but does not cook too quickly- you don't want to scorch it.
- Keep an eye on it and stir frequently to keep it from sticking.
- When the polenta has absorbed most of the water, add in the pumpkin puree and whisk to combine.
- Add in the milk, butter and nutmeg, and stir again.
- The polenta should be ready in roughly 20 to 30 minutes. It should be tender to the bite, not gritty. If it isn't soft enough for you, add more milk and butter and cook it a little longer.
- Form into small cake pan and refrigerate until firm. Cut into triangles.
- Optional: Sprinkle with roasted shelled pumpkin seeds.
- Serve warm or at room temperature