This is a twist on my Grandma's recipe which I have been eating since I was a little girl. Easy, healthy, and delicious! This goes great with garlic bread and a side salad. —ADRIENE
- Serves 3
YELLOW ONION MINCED
GARLIC CLOVES SLICED
CRUSHED RED PEPPER
28 OZ CANS CRUSHED TOMATOES
SALT & PEPPER
In This Recipe
- Get a large pot on the stove, pour in olive oil and turn flame to medium-high. Add in the minced onions once oil is hot. Cook for 5 minutes until they start to brown. Clean the artichokes with warm water, cut off the stems and pointy tips of the leaves with scissors.
- Add in the sliced garlic and chili flakes, cook for a couple minutes.
- Add in the sugar and vinegar and cook down for a minute. Add the artichokes to pot and cover with the crushed tomatoes and water. Make sure that the artichokes are almost covered with the liquids to ensure even cooking.
- Bring the pot up to a boil and then turn down to a slow slimmer and cover with the lid. Cook for 3-4 hours depending on how large the artichokes are. Test the artichokes by pulling off an outer leaf and eating the end to see how tender it is.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.