Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by another Food52 recipe, Roasted Sausage with Broccoli and Fennel By EmilyC • January 11, 2014 I changed it up to make my whole family happy. Brown Rice for the gluten free girls, chicken sausage for the protein needing boys, and brocolli to keep them all healthy. —TriBeCa
Spicy chicken sausages (I prefer the ones sold at Whole Foods)
pounds broccoli, cut into small bite sized pieces
cups cooked brown rice (organic)
cup extra virgin olive oil
tablespoons unslated butter
cup store bought chicken stock (unsalted)
cup diced sweet onion (vidallia)
cup parmesan (optional)
- Boil chicken sausage for 45 minutes in unsalted water. Let cool for 10 minutes. Pre heat grill to medium indirect and lightly char sausages for 8-10 minutes. Cool, and dice into bite sized pieces.
- Cook brown rice according to package directions.
- In a saute pan melt butter, and stir in olive oil. Saute onions on the lowest setting your stovetop can go to for 10-15 minutes. Add lemon juice and chicken stock, heat through. Set aside.
- Steam brocolli until just cooked, and still a bit hard to bite. About 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350. In a 9x12 casserole dish line the bottom with the brown rice. Add the chopped sausage and cooked brocolli. Pour sauce over the top, and give it a quick stir. Bake for about 10 minutes. Add parmesan cheese if you want and bake another 5 minutes. Serve!
- To serve for lunch the following day serve cold, or warm up with a bit more sauce, of lemon juice and olive oil.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dinner That Makes a Good Lunch