Author Notes: Easy to get together after a long day, and even better with farmer's market vegetables. The high-protein content in the quinoa combined with the sausage will keep you going for a while, and leftovers are wonderful wrapped in a tortilla for an easy lunch! You can also use sausages and corn left over from a weekend BBQ. —Sarah
Serves: 2 (with leftovers for lunch)
cups vegetable broth (my preference is Better than Bouillon - it makes everything so tasty)
tablespoon olive oil
cloves garlic, minced
large mushrooms, sliced
chicken sausages, sliced
ears corn, grilled or boiled, with the corn removed from the ears
handful grated Parmesan (optional)
- Bring vegetable broth to a boil in a medium pot. Add quinoa and turn heat down to low. Cover and cook for approx. 20 minutes until quinoa has absorbed all the liquid and is nice and fluffy.
- Meanwhile, separate the chard leaves from the stalks. Dice stalks and slice up leaves into bite-size pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. (If chicken sausages are not pre-cooked, add to pan at this point and saute until cooked. If they are pre-cooked, then begin with chard stalks.)
- Add chard stalks and saute for a few minutes.
- Add garlic, mushrooms, and sausage (if pre-cooked) and saute, stirring frequently, for a few more minutes until garlic is fragrant and the sausage is beginning to brown.
- Add chard leaves and corn and cook until chard is beginning to wilt.
- Turn off heat and add quinoa to pan, mixing everything together.
- Enjoy either as is or with a healthy sprinkle of cheese!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dinner That Makes a Good Lunch