If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Grabbing one of these long strips of pickled eggplant from a jar brings anchovies to mind. They are tasty spooled up on a cracker, spread out on a tartine w/lemon ricotta, or tossed into a pasta. —POCKETKnife.life
Makes 1.5 pint jar
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- seasonings (capers, orange peel, rosemary, salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper - whatever appeals to you)
- With a vegetable peeler - peel eggplant and discard the skin.
- Continue peeling eggplant until you have a pile of long strips (skipping the very core with the bitter seeds).
- Put the strips in a colander, altering layers of eggplant with liberal amounts of kosher salt.
- Let sit in a bowl in the fridge overnight.
- Squeeze all the liquid out of the eggplant with your hands.
- Bring 1 cup water and 1 cup vinegar to a boil.
- Throw the eggplant in and blanch for 2 minutes.
- Mix the eggplant with olive oil and your choice of seasonings - garlic, chili peppers, capers, salt, pepper, sprig of fresh rosemary or thyme, lemon or orange peel .
- Enjoy the resulting vegan anchovies!