Author Notes: Grabbing one of these long strips of pickled eggplant from a jar brings anchovies to mind. They are tasty spooled up on a cracker, spread out on a tartine w/lemon ricotta, or tossed into a pasta. —POCKETKnife.life
Makes: 1.5 pint jar
cup white vinegar
cup extra virgin olive oil
seasonings (capers, orange peel, rosemary, salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper - whatever appeals to you)
- With a vegetable peeler - peel eggplant and discard the skin.
- Continue peeling eggplant until you have a pile of long strips (skipping the very core with the bitter seeds).
- Put the strips in a colander, altering layers of eggplant with liberal amounts of kosher salt.
- Let sit in a bowl in the fridge overnight.
- Squeeze all the liquid out of the eggplant with your hands.
- Bring 1 cup water and 1 cup vinegar to a boil.
- Throw the eggplant in and blanch for 2 minutes.
- Mix the eggplant with olive oil and your choice of seasonings - garlic, chili peppers, capers, salt, pepper, sprig of fresh rosemary or thyme, lemon or orange peel .
- Enjoy the resulting vegan anchovies!