Author Notes: This recipe came out of a need to get at least one dairy free side onto the holiday table! I had recently found out I was highly lactose intolerant and my family members were still having trouble wrapping their brains around all the many ingredients that would get me into trouble. This recipe is delicious, quick and easy - perfect for a weekday or a holiday where the cooking never seems to end! —Tracie
pound brussel sprouts - if they're the little ones (about the size of a nickel), leave them whole. If they're slightly larger cut them in half.
large shallots, chopped
pieces proscuitto, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces - or more if you love proscuitto!
- Cut the stems off the brussel sprouts and cut them in half if they are on the larger side.
- Put the chopped shallots in a deep pan with olive oil and cook on medium until softened.
- Add the brussel sprouts to the pan and brown them slightly, then turn the stove down to low, cover the pan and let them soften a bit. You may need to add a little more olive oil so they don't dry out.
- Add the proscuitto and let it crisp up around the brussel sprouts. Cook for a few minutes on low so that all the flavors meld together. Throw some salt and pepper on them to finish. Serve and Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Green Holiday Side